This house is a 1950’s built bungalow with a large “footprint” but a small basement. Most of the area under the house was crawl space. The small portion that had a full basement had low ceiling height. The client wanted to have a full basement under the entire house that he could develop and extend his living space into.
- Replace the foundation system
- Increase square footage of the basement from 400 to 1800 square feet
- Bring the foundation system up to current code
- Install in floor heating, new sewer / water lines and new underlab rough-ins for future basement bathroom etc.
- Install new weeping tile for footing drainage
- Install a new sump system to drain weeping tile
- Replace all existing beams and columns with a new Engineered system
- Abarent Construction provided all of the Engineering and Plan Drawings for this project for which we were also responsible for obtaining the appropriate Building Permits.
- We prepped the house then lifted the entire house off it’s existing foundation with the use of steel beams and cribbing. The old foundation was demolished and the area completely excavated for new footings / foundation.
- Following our Engineered Plan, we installed new footings and cribbed and poured new 9’ high foundation walls. Alberta Building Code requirements were exceeded in all aspects of this footing / foundation design.
- The new concrete foundation walls were damp-proofed and new weeping tile installed after which a passing green Sticker from a City of Edmonton Building Inspector was obtained. The excavation was backfilled and all grading completed prior to the house being lowered onto it’s new home.
- New Window locations were “bucked” into the foundation during cribbing.
- The new Engineered beam and column system was installed as well as installation of washed stone on the interior if the floor area. We used stone as a base for the new concrete floor. This is a “better building method” that provides a great compacted medium and a drainage course that can act as a backup to the exterior weeping tile system.
- The floor area was properly prepared with vapor barrier, insulation, wire mesh and heating tubes for a hydronic in-floor heat system.
Another happy client with a basement area created by Abarent Construction.